Fast & Fabulous: Grilled Salt & Pepper Skirt Steak with White Bean, Caper & Citrus Salad!
July 18, 2014 / Stephanie Miskew / 1 Comments
During the Summer months if I’m indulging in something decadent like steak I love to pair it with something light and bright to balance the flavors and textures. This edition of Fast & Fabulous is the perfect example, Grilled Salt & Pepper Skirt Steak is paired with a light and lemony White Bean, Caper & Citrus Salad. In addition to being delicious, it only takes minutes (about 30) to make!
Skirt steak is a long, flat cut of beef known for its fibrous texture and delicious flavor. Its hearty texture makes it a natural for marinades or rubs and its flavor is also beautifully enhanced by the blackened char of the grill. While it can stand up to big flavors, a simple preparation such as this one also allows its deliciousness to shine through. While anatomically speaking it is located in close proximity to the flank steak, please don’t confuse the two! While it has a similar texture, flank steak does not have the flavorful marbling skirt steak has. Also, whether you’re talking about skirt or New York strip, simply seasoning steaks liberally with olive oil, kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper before grilling or pan searing creates a mouth-watering flavor by enhancing the natural flavor of the meat.
For the White Bean, Caper & Citrus Salad, you can assemble the white beans, haricots verts, capers and parsley beforehand and just dress it right before serving – easy peasy! The citrus element stands up nicely to the fat in the meat while the bright green parsley is a nice foil for the creamy white beans. A wonderful wine pairing for this delicious duo would be a juicy red wine like the Tikal Patriota, a blend of 60% Malbec and 40% Bonarda from Mendoza, Argentina. This is a delightful red wine for Summer – it’s full-bodied with plenty of flavor and a great balance of fruit and tannin. I hope you enjoy this delicious Summertime pairing!
What are some of your favorite Summer flavors? Please let me know in the comment section below.
"Fast & Fabulous: Grilled Salt & Pepper Skirt Steak with White Bean, Caper & Citrus Salad"Author: Stephanie Miskew | The Glamorous GourmetRecipe type: Main CourseServes: 4Ingredients
- 1.5-2lbs skirt steak
- Good olive oil
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 14-ounce can Great Northern or Cannellini beans, drained & rinsed
- 6 ounces haricots verts or other green beans, trimmed & cut into 1" pieces
- ⅓ cup fresh Italian parsley
- ¼ cup good olive oil
- 3 Tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- 3 Tablespoons chopped capers, rinsed & drained
- 1 Tablespoon finely grated lemon zest
- 2 Tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Pre-heat a grill or grill pan over med-hi heat. Pat meat dry with paper towels, drizzle with olive oil and rub into both sides. Generously season both sides of the steak with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper. Grill over med-hi heat approximately 4 minutes per side for medium-rare. Let cooked steak rest, covered with foil for 5 minutes before slicing against the grain.
- For the salad, in a large bowl combine white beans, haricots verts, parsley, and capers and toss gently. In a separate, small plastic container with tight fitting lid combine olive oil, chives, lemon zest, lemon juice and red pepper flakes. Seal lid and shake mixture to combine.
- Dress salad just before serving and toss ingredients gently to combine. Season with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste before serving.
July 18, 2014 / Stephanie Miskew / 1 Comments
Stephanie Miskew thinks life is better with wine and she wants to help you enjoy it to the fullest! As a Certified Sommelier, her real world advice on tasting wine like a pro, discovering which wines you truly love, picking the perfect bottle for any occasion and creating magical food and wine pairings will have you looking like a wine expert in any situation.
Looking for the perfect Thanksgiving wines that’ll pair with everything on your table, make even your wine snobbiest guest happy and won’t break the bank? Well, look no further! In my latest segment on WPTV I share some fabulous wines that all play nicely with a wide variety of flavors, appeal to a plethora of palates and are all under… Read More
The offers for wine clubs are E V E R Y W H E R E these days! From department stores to airlines, it seems like everyone wants to sign you up and they’re making pretty outrageous-sounding offers to lure you in. One promises “20 wines for a dollar,” while another features ONLY “award winning wines” – they all sound… Read More
“By the sea, by the sea, by the beautiful sea!” ~ Harold Atteridge + Harry Carroll, 1914 While Summer is definitely one of my favorite times to pack up and get outta town, as the season draws to a close, I find myself craving the comforts of home. Don’t get me wrong, we thoroughly enjoyed our time in Highlands, North… Read More
“Meet me in Montauk!” – Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind The day after the glamour and indulgence of “Chefs & Champagne,” the James Beard Foundation’s Summer fundraiser that I cover every year, Steve and I love spending a relaxed, unplanned day discovering the Hamptons. Last year’s meandering led us to afternoon cocktails at Topping Rose House followed by a… Read More
Nowhere embodies relaxed Summer glamour quite like the Hamptons. Located on the East End of Long Island, this sophisticated seaside haven is also home to our favorite Summer event, the James Beard Foundation’s “Chefs & Champagne.” Held on the last Saturday in July, this glamorous Summer soirée takes place under a sprawling white tent beneath cerulean skies, at the scenic… Read More
It’s Week 3 of Rosé Month on The Wine Atelier Podcast and in this episode, I’m excited to introduce you to someone who’s had his finger on the pulse of rosé since his first cover story on the subject ten years ago, Mitch Frank, News Editor of Wine Spectator Magazine. I’m also happy to report, his second cover story on… Read More